Revising OpenWrt Rules

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Sep 23 09:57:18 EDT 2020

On Wed, 2020-09-23 at 08:31 -0400, Rich Brown wrote:
> I would especially like to hear from others re: commit permissions -
> should all Decisionmakers have commit rights? Or only allow people
> who have regularly submitted high-quality code? Some other
> guideline?

One might argue that if they are trusted to make decisions on behalf of
the project, they can be trusted only to *use* their commit rights
where it is sensible and appropriate to do so.

Restricting commit rights could be a technical security thing — an
individual could say "I'm never going to *intentionally* commit to
certain repositories so let's prevent my account from doing so
accidentally (or maliciously if compromised)."

But I don't see a reason other than that, why Decisionmakers shouldn't
be permitted commit rights. It's just complexity and inequality, or
"levels" of privilege, for no good reason (that I see).