Donations moved from SPI to SFC too?

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 21:36:11 EDT 2020

Thank you for sending along those links to the SPI reports. I don't think i had seen that information previously.

> On Sep 17, 2020, at 3:54 PM, Baptiste Jonglez <baptiste at bitsofnetworks.org> wrote:
>
> Just one data point, donations seem to be have increased in 2019:
>
> https://www.spi-inc.org/treasurer/reports/201612/#index58h4
> https://www.spi-inc.org/treasurer/reports/201712/#index55h4
> https://www.spi-inc.org/treasurer/reports/201812/#index56h4
> https://www.spi-inc.org/treasurer/reports/201912/#index57h4
>
> It's already 2k€ / year without having a lot of publicity about it.

This is excellent.

> Anyway, you cannot plan how much will be donated, and establishing a
> fine-grained budget is hard and probably not that useful here.  But it
> would still be interesting to publish:
>
> - how much is needed for recurring costs (servers, domain, etc)
> - how additional money would be used in the long term (conferences, legal
>  fees, etc)

Yes. We need to create a budget that covers all our operating expenses (servers, DNS registry, legal, accounting, etc - maybe 3,500 Euros per year) plus an amount to fund an annual conference. (The Hamburg meeting was excellent: we developed a lot of plans and built a lot of interpersonal trust. I don't know what it cost, but I think we were pretty frugal.)

I agree it is difficult to predict the actual outcome of a fund raising effort, so I suggest this plan:

a) Set a target amount that we would like to raise. That target amount should be larger than the budget we create above.

b) Design a campaign to ask the OpenWrt community for contributions. It would refer to the budget, and explain why we are doing this, and how the funds will be used. This need not be smarmy - think Wikipedia requests, not used-car salesman. I envision that we would place a well-crafted request on the Donations page, and place occasional requests on the Forum. (We can vary the frequency of those requests to increase/decrease the number of responses we receive.)

c) Decide what to do if the contributions dramatically exceed our budgeted needs. One thought I had was to reimburse our founders who for years have paid for the infrastructure from their own pockets. (This puts us *all* in their debt.) I suspect they never expected any compensation, but I don't think they would mind a few thousand Euros coming their way.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Rich