what to do about annoying trademark use?

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Sat Oct 31 22:29:48 EDT 2020

So NXP has released something they call
NXP Layerscape OpenWrt 20.09
So not only they use the OpenWrt brand name, they have also released
their fork with a version which looks like it could be an official
OpenWrt release and will make people think that they should annoy us
when it comes to getting support for that.

I'm not suggesting to do anything about that in terms of legal action
(as that would be even more annoying for everyone involved), but I
think we should do something to prevent that from happening even more
in future.
We are closing bug reports (especially for LuCI) on dialy basis where
people request support for software which looks like it was an OpenWrt
release but turns out to be a vendor-fork.

Debian also managed to make vendors name their forks differently, ie.
Raspbian and such. ASUSWrt is kind of a good example of how it would
be done the right way for OpenWrt (at least in my opinion).

Just annoyed me to see that and thought we might want to debate how
we can prevent that kinda bad $vendor choices from wasting our time...