Revising OpenWrt Rules

Paul Oranje por at oranjevos.nl
Thu Oct 29 04:58:46 EDT 2020

Op 5 okt. 2020, om 15:48 heeft Sam Kuper <sampablokuper at posteo.net> het volgende geschreven:

> On Mon, Oct 05, 2020 at 11:55:41AM +0200, Paul Oranje wrote:
>> [skip]
>> Making decisions in public does not preclude respecting the
>> sensitivity of certain matters, e.g. when positions of people are
>> concerned, or handling security issues. For cases as those necessarily
>> information is only shared once appropiate, but outside such special
>> cases the general principle should be: in public.
>
> It seems you agree decisions should be made in public, except for two
> specific topics you say should be exempt:
>
> - positions of specific people;
>
> - security issues.
>

> I'm not sure why the former needs to be exempt.  Suppose decisionmaker A
> gets concerned decisionmaker B is abusing the community's trust.
> Decisionmaker A could, on the relevant mailing list, explain their
> concerns & propose a (public) vote among the decisionmakers on whether
> decisionmaker B be should removed from their roster of decisionmakers.
> This would afford decisionmaker B the chance to defend themselves, and
> the rest of the decisionmakers (and the community) the chance to
> evaluate both sides' claims and to offer additional evidence either way.
> (N.B. All interpersonal disputes are contentious.  Better that they be
> contentious and transparent like this, than contentious and opaque.)
Agree and I did not mean that votes on persons should be held in secret, but that it should be kept secret who voted what, so that one can vote free from (fear of) retaliation or personal pressure. That might be difficult to implement though.
(And to counter the obvious value of such process, I would like to add that one would nowadays wish that in elections people must explain their vote; sorry for stirring general politics into this discussion).