Publish firmware selector

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 08:01:17 EST 2020

> On Nov 18, 2020, at 2:55 AM, Moritz Warning <moritzwarning at web.de> wrote:

... earlier discussion elided ...

>> Can someone look at the TP-Link entries that the search is pulling from?
>> Searching for anything from TP-Link returns duplicates of all the
>> entries with one set being formatted (for example) as "TP-Link
>> TL-WR1043N/ND v3" and the other being formatted as "TP-LINK
>> TL-WR1043N/ND v3" but both point to the same file.
>
> This device and others exist twice. One for the ar7xx target and one for ath79 (while the old one is phased out).
> We can either attach the target in brackets behind the name or just do not show one of them.

I believe the Firmware Selector page is performing perfectly. It provides a conduit to the recommended firmware for a newcomer's device.

Let's not try to figure out how to "tag" each release with some inscrutable identifier. Instead, we should focus on this question,

   Which build  - ar71xx or ath79 - should the Firmware Selector display?

[I now confess that I have not followed this discussion closely, and I am somewhat confused about the issue about why there are two builds (not images - I understand that distinction) for a device.]

- Why do we have these two builds?
- What advice would we give to a newcomer to prefer one over the other?
- If that's our recommendation, why are we showing the other one?

Thanks.

Rich