[RFC] Relocate OpenWrt mailing lists to infradead

Jo-Philipp Wich jo at mein.io
Thu May 10 09:18:41 EDT 2018

Hi all,

it has been several days now that the machine hosting lists.openwrt.org,
mail.openwrt.org and forum.openwrt.org is offline, without any
information on when it is going to be back online, if ever.

I would've expected some proactive actions being taken to get the
services restored or at the very least some communication on the matter
to allow us to assert the situation and take appropriate steps.

The handling of these problems so far puts some serious doubts on the
future fitness of this hosting solution. Even if things would be getting
back to normal right now, outages like this can and likely will happen
again, leaving us in a limbo every time, wondering what is going on.

Improperly handled outages like this, coupled with an apparent total
negligence of the impact and complete radio silence on the matter,
damage the reputation of the project as a whole and let us look like
incompetent fools.

I do understand that problems happen and services could fail, especially
considering that most things are handled or even paid by spare time
volunteers being either no administrators or no professionals - but what
absolutely annoys me is the fact that the operators of these services do
not deem it important enough to step forward and communicate the
problems upfront.

With that situation in mind, plus the uncertainty surrounding the
restoration of the services I propose to move the lists.openwrt.org
setup to infradead.org which already kindly handles the hosting of our
LEDE mailing lists.

I briefly asked on David on IRC already and he stated that setting up
virtual hosting for *@lists.openwrt.org would be trivially possible.

Regards,
Jo