[RFC] Let the Wiki (wiki.lede-project.org) serve as the main web site (www.lede-project.org)

John Crispin john at phrozen.org
Mon Oct 31 06:50:01 EDT 2016

On 25/10/2016 13:37, Jo-Philipp Wich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Rich, Thomas and Alberto spent a considerable amount of time to setup a
> Dokuwiki instance, imported content from the current web.git based sites
> and did some initial work on a slightly improved version of the hardware
> database.
>
> Since the wiki now contains virtually all the material of the main
> www.lede-project.org site, it would be in shape now to serve as main
> project site. Using a wiki also makes it easier for all members of the
> project to see problems and make changes quickly, without requiring
> admin access, or approval of PRs, etc.
>
> The wiki uses the same Dokuwiki software as OpenWrt, so it will be
> familiar to users. The wiki already has a prototype Table of Hardware,
> with minor enhancements to what exists in the OpenWrt wiki (although the
> ToH will continue to evolve over the next few weeks...)
>
> We're running the newest version of Dokuwiki, with some new plugins to
> make the wiki look better, plus ease maintenance.
>
> Note: Certain asciidoc pages on the main site have been updated since
> the wiki was imported. There are commitments from the wiki maintainers
> that the wiki will be brought up to date before it goes live.
>
> To guard against defacement/undesirable modifications, write access to
> the top pages of the wiki, including the governance/rules pages, will be
> controlled by ACLs.
>
> Personally I'd favor a move to a complete wiki based site and keeping
> only the rules and the signing key pages as standalone HTML documents
> serving as authoritative source for people to quote from.
>
> The question: Should we switch the main www.lede-project.org web
> presence to the Wiki?
>

> ~ Jo

Hi,

the wiki/doc folks have been real busy and the wiki is starting to fill
up. They asked if we could switch the landing project landing page to
the wiki. the idea would be to put the current content to a sub domain
and strip it of all its documentation parts and only leave the project
related bits on there.

would this be ok for everyone ? we could try to get it done this week.

	John