experimental branch

David Lang david at lang.hm
Sun Nov 27 13:26:08 EST 2016

On Sun, 27 Nov 2016, John Crispin wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> i would like to start a discussion about an official experimental
> branch. the branch should be in the same git as trunk and would allow
> felix to stage his patches for proper testing in an official location.
> looking at the recent metadata patch, mac80211 updates, image building
> code, ... they all cause horrific fallout. i talked to felix about this
> and he says if he does not push people wont test which i can understand.
>
> the same tree can also be used for kernel updates, new targets,
> busybox/toolchain updates and all other intrusive changes that we make.
> having a special branch would mitigate this fallout problem to a certain
> extend.

This can be either a good thing or a bad thing depending on exactly how it ends
up getting managed.

I would like to suggest that you look at the git -pu (proposed updates) branch
and the kernel -next branches for ideas of how to manage such a branch.

I suspect that with the small number of developers LEDE currently has, the git
-pu policies are a better fit.

David Lang