Introducing the LEDE project

Felix Fietkau nbd at nbd.name
Thu May 5 16:43:54 EDT 2016

On 2016-05-05 20:22, mbm wrote:
> On 5/5/2016 7:40 AM, Felix Fietkau wrote:
>> Many of the changes that we previously tried to introduce were often
>> squashed by internal disagreements. Resulting discussions often turned
>> toxic quickly and led to nothing being done to address the issues.
>> Setting up the LEDE project was our way of creating a testbed for
>> changes that we believe are important for the survival of the project.
>
> Change is not easy. Discussions need to happen. The problem is simply
> kicking out people you didn't agree with by starting a new organization
> in secret; you've created the public perception that we're somehow
> against you when really we all want the same things.
Years of internal discussion led nowhere. Maybe it helps now that we're
making the whole issue public.

>> We appreciate your effort to have an open discussion about this,
>> however the sudden deletion of our widely published openwrt.org email
>> addresses somewhat undermines this. We will not respond in kind and we
>> will continue to maintain the critical parts of OpenWrt infrastructure
>> that we control.
>
> Let's be clear on this subject; no commit access was revoked, you still
> have full read and write access to the entire OpenWrt tree.
>
> Email forwarding was temporarily disabled following the LEDE announcement
> - LEDE's own rules prohibit project based email addresses
No, they don't. They state that the LEDE project won't provide project
email addresses. Interpreting that as meaning that we shouldn't be able
to access our openwrt.org addresses is more than a bit of a stretch.

> - It's unclear if LEDE still represents OpenWrt
So? Asking us to not send any further emails about LEDE from our
openwrt.org addresses should have been enough.

> My hope is that this whole LEDE vs OpenWrt situation can be resolved.
I hope so too.

- Felix