[TODO] release considerations

Ted Hess lede at kitschensync.net
Fri Jun 3 12:02:38 EDT 2016

On Fri, 2016-06-03 at 10:34 +0200, John Crispin wrote:

> * update remaining targets to v4.4
>  - most mayor targets are updated already
>  - IPQ needs some loving care
>  - au1000 (v4.4 fails to boot, volunteers ?)
>  - ar7 (v4.4 compiles but testing pending, volunteers ?)
>  - gemini (awaiting patches from roman)
>  - ixp4xx (volunteers ?)

I can take a look at ixp4xx - gotta keep my slugs happy.

> * a name
>  - keep the year.month.minor pattern ?
>  - do we want codenames ?

Prefer YY.MM.mm (codenames are good for development and branch names)

> * set a ETA
>  - do we want to fork or call for a feature freeze and stabilize in trunk ?

Branch and release is the best strategy. It keeps the trunk alive for future
work and easy to merge forward after release. Also, you have a place for maint
work after release which continues the linear history.

/ted