License of patches

Hauke Mehrtens hauke at hauke-m.de
Mon Apr 25 17:23:06 EDT 2016

Hi,

merging changes back from the community or any other party is sometimes
seen as a problem in the industry. Most of Intel CHD's (former Lantiq)
software is licensed under GPL + BSD license and we want to be able to
integrate it into the Linux kernel if needed and also into some
proprietary operating systems like VxWorks for example. If we get the
contributions back only as only GPL code, or if it is not clear that
this is also licensed under BSD it cause problems.

I would like to add this to the rules or to the patch submission guideline:

Patches done to an existing software are always licensed under the same
licenses as the original source code if it is not explicitly stated
different. This should ensure that it possible to include the changes
into the upstream project.